I live in DC, which is a great place to live and visit. I try to make the most of it. However, I also love to leave my home and see what the world has to offer. Come and join me!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

United States Botanic Garden: Photographer's Paradise



One of my favorite spots on the Mall is often treated by tourists as a second-class citizen, the United States Botanic Garden. I would call that a misnomer; it's more of a giant greenhouse. The National Arboretum, off the Mall but worth the trip, is the rolling acres of grounds you picture when you hear the words "Botanic Garden."

It's the closest building to the Capitol building on the right (if you're facing the Capitol). It's a gem of a place, small and easy to digest in under an hour but so pleasant you'll want to stay a little longer. It's great for kids because they can make noise and walk a little briskly (though probably not yell and run around). There's a children's garden that is well-maintained with lots of hands-on things to do.

Granted, you won't see the icons of American history, the taxidermied zoo of Natural History, or more fine art than you can shake a stick at, but nature's art is pretty impressive if you ask me. And nature's art is well-curated and ready for the (picture) taking. If you're a photographer, now is the time to bust out the macro setting on your camera and go to town. The gardens are incredibly manicured and it seems as though they are laid out with the photographer in mind. I am not a photographer by any means, but maybe these pictures will give you some ideas of what you're missing out on if you don't make a quick trip into the Botanic Garden. They were taken on a trip to Garden on August 19, 2007. There is always something blooming.

No comments: